Re: How to make an mpeg-movie from still images?

Joerg> Hi everybody I have a lot of imgaes (output from pymol, a
Joerg> molecular graphics rendering program), which I would like to join
Joerg> together as an mpeg movie.  So far I have tried out ffmpeg
Joerg> (converted the images to .ppm format and used ffmpeg -i
Joerg> film_00%2d.ppm -s 640x480 -r 25 -an film.mpg The restult is very
Joerg> low-quality (compression artifacts everywhere, etc), no matter
Joerg> what I try out for bitrate (-b #### with #### 3000 up to 12000
Joerg> and more) I'd like to create a near-DVD-quality movie from which
Joerg> I can start and transcode it to a useful size and bitrate. Any
Joerg> suggestions what program to use?

You could try mpeg_encode from the ucbmpeg package, but I don't know if
it would be any better than ffmpeg.  It probably also takes a bit more
configuration than ffmpeg (i.e. you'll need to read the manual), but you
get a lot of options to play with.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA