Re: ASUS motherboard

Jim McCloskey wrote:
Has anyone any experience of the ASUS P4 S533 motherboard under
Debian?

In particular, I've been trying to reassure myself that the onboard
LAN controller is supported, and have wandered all over the net
seeking reassurance. I'm still not sure. The LAN controller is
described as an SiS 961. Does anyone know for sure whether or not this
is handled properly by the sis900 ethernet driver?

Any other experience or observations?

I got my P4S533 in July. Great and stable board! The onboard LAN and sound is supported in standard marcello kernels, but you'll need a newer -ac kernel (I use 2.4.20-pre8-ac2), if you want to be able to use NVIDIA's 3D accel. drivers via AGPGART. Finally I can play UT2003demo on my P4S533. ;)

The 2.4.20-pre8-ac2 also gave me UDMA support for the SIS5133 onboard IDE controller. With a standard 2.4.18 kernel (not supporting SIS5133) I only got 3 MB/sec for disk reads (tested with hdparm -tT). With the new 2.4.20-pre8-ac2 and UDMA enabled I get 46 MB/sec.

/frederik