Re: Viewing avi files

Sridhar M.A. wrote:

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 09:59:22AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > The mplayer team reminds that any precompiled binaries are 'unsupported'
  > (whatever that means) because most of mplayer's configuration is done at
  > compile time.  They suggest that the only way to get mplayer to perform
> decently on your machine is to compile it on your machine.
I think it is no longer correct. The latest versions of mplayer have run
time optimizations. So, you can download the proper version of mplayer
for you system: mplayer-386, mplayer-686, etc.

This is a technicality but run time optimization and run time cpu detection imply that you don't need to download a version specific to your specific cpu... However
this does incur a small performance loss.

You also lose the ability to choose which features you want enabled.

The mplayer team still only support the official binary version on their website. It is a rpm (redhat) package. It can be installed in debian using alien to convert it
to a deb file.

Bijan