Re: Woody installation: can't find my /dev/hdg to install to.

Barney Wrightson wrote:
Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Hi!

I'm trying to install debian 3.0 (woody) from CD to my Athlon PC.  The
installation program fails to find my hard drive (which other
(commercial) distributions have located variously at /dev/hdg and
/dev/hde).  It merely invites me to supply a Hard disk driver on a floppy
disk.

The problem seems to be that my (sole) hard drive is _not_ on the primary
IDE controller.  It is on a secondary controller because this latter
works at ATA-100 speed.

The hard drive is in working order, and linux kernels can be successfully
booted from it.

My motherboard is an Epox EP-8K7A (or maybe an Epox EP-8K7A+ ??).

Presumably, I can give the installation kernel some parameter(s) which
will tell it to look at the third IDE controller to find a disk to
install onto.  Presumably, also, this is described in a fine manual
somewhere I haven't yet been able to find.

Would somebody please point me towards the appropriate documentation, so
that I can get my system installed.  Of course, if anybody is generous
enough just to tell me what the pertinent parameters are, that would be
most welcome, too.  :-)

Many thanks in anticipation.

Which boot image are you using? I assume it is "vanilla" off of the 1st CD. Try using "bf24" (boot off of cd 5 I think - or you can choose it somehow off of CD 1) and see if that works. I have an Asus A7V which has a secondary Promise ATA-100 controller onboard, and I am pretty sure it was detected automatically when I used the bf24 boot image to install.

HTH
Barney.

I second that. I just installed the Promise Ultra100tx2 in two different machines and used the bf4 boot floppies and all was well.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-