Re: Viewing avi files

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 09:59:22AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:

   > The mplayer team reminds that any precompiled binaries are 'unsupported'
   > (whatever that means) because most of mplayer's configuration is done at
   > compile time.  They suggest that the only way to get mplayer to perform
   > decently on your machine is to compile it on your machine.

I think it is no longer correct. The latest versions of mplayer have run
time optimizations. So, you can download the proper version of mplayer
for you system: mplayer-386, mplayer-686, etc.

   > I've also heard that the source tree includes a debian directory so
   > that building your own debs is simple.

Yes. I was doing that when mplayer had to be compiled on the machine it
was supposed to be run. As pointed out by someone else, just getting the
debs is easier along with the recommended packages.

Performancewise, on my celeron 400 machine, it outperforms xine. Maybe
on a very fast machine, xine and mplayer perform identically. Mplayer
shines even on a lower end machine.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier...  I put them in
the same room and let them fight it out.
		-- Steven Wright