Re: Mutt and mailboxes

-- David P James <dpjames@rogers.com> wrote
(on Wednesday, 02 October 2002, 11:05 PM -0400):
> I've recently started using mutt remotely when I'm on campus to check
> for email that Mozilla is automatically downloading to my Debian box at
> home
Not to be contrary, but why are you having Mozilla do the downloading?
Fetchmail is designed for this... and once it has retrieved the mail for
you, you could have any of your mail clients look at it directly on your
machine easily, as it would be in a standard place.

Just a thought.

> The 'problem' is that when mutt launches it automatically uses the
> mbox file at /var/mail/username. There is such a file on my system but
> little email ever comes its way, hence I have no interest in checking
> it. What I would like is to have Mutt default to opening up Mozilla's
> mbox at ~/.mozilla/default/********.slt/Mail/pop.my.isp/Inbox . I can
> force mutt to open it by using the -f (and, for safety's sake, -R)
> parameter with that long filename, but I would prefer a quicker and
> more permanent solution. I've also noticed that there is no .mutt or
> the like file or directory in my home directory, which is somewhat
> perplexing.
I believe somebody else already noted this, but .muttrc is not created
on its own; you have to create your own. When you do (simply use your
favorite editor -- likely VIM if you're using mutt! -- and create a
~/.muttrc file), you'll need a line such as:
    set folder=/path/to/spoolfile
Once this is in there, you won't need to use the -f switch.

I highly suggest reading the mutt manual; it's included with the Debian
distro at /usr/share/doc/mutt/html/manual.html. And also look into
fetchmail and procmail -- they are excellent tools for grabbing mail
from remote locations and delivering it to specific files/directories.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney