Mutt and mailboxes

I've recently started using mutt remotely when I'm on campus to check for email that Mozilla is automatically downloading to my Debian box at home (I log in to my Debian box via ssh from Tera Term Pro on the Windows machines on campus). The 'problem' is that when mutt launches it automatically uses the mbox file at /var/mail/username. There is such a file on my system but little email ever comes its way, hence I have no interest in checking it. What I would like is to have Mutt default to opening up Mozilla's mbox at ~/.mozilla/default/********.slt/Mail/pop.my.isp/Inbox . I can force mutt to open it by using the -f (and, for safety's sake, -R) parameter with that long filename, but I would prefer a quicker and more permanent solution. I've also noticed that there is no .mutt or the like file or directory in my home directory, which is somewhat perplexing.
--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV