Re: home ethernet IP addresses

    "Jeff" == Jeff Maxson <jbmaxson@surfglobal.net> writes:

    Jeff> Holy cow.  Windows is set up as "get an IP address
    Jeff> automatically", and no, there is no router, just a
    Jeff> cross-over cable connecting the two.  I'm guessing sticking
    Jeff> in a static IP for both would be good, so as to make sure
    Jeff> the IP addresses don't change every time either of us
    Jeff> reboots, but would that make any problems if one of us were
    Jeff> to dial up?

    Jeff> BTW, she is running Win98.

When you says "Windows is set" up are talking about the machine that
dual boots Linux, or the "other" machine?

If it is the "other" machine, then your Linux dual booter needs to run
a DHCP server and be given a static IP address in
/etc/interfaces. This is so the other Windows machine can get an IP
from the Linux box when required.

If all you have is a cross over cable only, I'd suggest using static
IPs on both side.

Cheers!
Shyamal