Re: Email (was Setting up Exim was Setting up Sendmail)

This one time, at band camp, Michael Olds said:
> > > I have Exim set up. I believe it is set up properly as I used the
> > > defaults mostly. I can send mail from my Linux box, but I cannot
> > > receive mail, either internally or from the outside. The log
> > > indicates that mail is being
>
> > so it isn't set up properly:)  For starters, we need some more info.
> > You say you've used the defaults during exim install/setup.  Did you
> > choose the "Internet site" or "Satellite" or...
>
> So "Internet" or what was the #1 choice.

Good, makes debuging easy.

> > ==> /var/log/exim/mainlog <==
> > 2002-10-02 02:20:10 17wXFK-0005dU-00<= carel@mail.felnet U=carel
> > P=local S=319 2002-10-02 02:20:11 17wXFK-0005dU-00 =>
> > carel@mail.felnet <carel@animus.felnet> R=smarthost T=remote_smtp
> > H=schaduw.felnet [192.168.1.1] 2002-10-02 02:20:11 17wXFK-0005dU-00
> > Completed
> >
> Little confusion here, but it comes down to the fact that the log
> reads as does your last entry here.

Then exim is working.

> I am talking about when I send mail from the Windows machine to the
> Linux box, the linux box is recording such entries in
> /var/log/exim/mainlog and similar entries for mail being sent from
> root to userme. I am just not able to get them to show up in my email
> client. Again, I can send from Linux to the Windows box no problem.

It sounds like exim is working, but you have a misconfigured email
client.  There are tons out there, but kmail is nice if you want to
stick with it.  Just make sure it is set up to read from the mail spool.

> > something silly, like permissions, but I do not know where to look
> > next for the solution. As far as I can tell the relevant directories
> > and files are user me and group mail, not sure if it is correct or
> > safe, but also with read, write, and execute for both.
>
> I'm not sure what files you're talking here, but I sure hope your not
> refering to e.g. files in /etc?
>
> in /etc/exim I have permissions for /etc/exim/ user root rwe; group
> mail re (is it Debian or Krusader that gives permissions in terms of
> "show entries" "write entries" "enter" why not use the numbers, or the
> usual rwx?) for /etc/exim/exim.conf user root rw; group root r for
> /home/userme/mail user me rwe group mail rwe for /var/mail/userme user
> root rwe group mail rwe set Gid others re sticky (?)
>
> Again, thanks, Best Wishes!  Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org

Last login: Tue Oct  1 21:06:20 2002 from busybox.lobefin.net
steve@gashuffer:~$ ls -l /etc/exim/
total 18
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        17047 Sep 11 15:19 exim.conf

steve@gashuffer:~$ ls -l <with a lot snipped>
drwx------    2 steve    steve        4096 Oct  1 21:29 Mail

steve@gashuffer:~$ ls -l Mail/ <with a real lot snipped>
total 49148
-rw-------    1 steve    steve      823818 Oct  1 18:53 Group-of-Friends
-rw-------    1 steve    steve           0 Oct  1 20:03 Hadrian
-rw-------    1 steve    steve           0 Oct  1 20:03 Mercury
-rw-------    1 steve    steve       23297 Sep  6 12:11 PADS

steve@gashuffer:~$ ls -l /var/
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     mail         4096 Oct  1 21:07 mail

steve@gashuffer:~$ ls -l /var/mail/ <with some more snipped>
total 0
-rw-rw----    1 steve    mail            0 Oct  1 20:54 steve

Sounds about like what you describe, I think.

HTH,
Steve
--
One has to look out for engineers -- they begin with sewing machines
and end up with the atomic bomb.