Re: SuSE vs. Debian ???

on Wed, Sep 25, 2002, Michael D. Schleif (mds@helices.org) wrote:

> I must accept a project to build and manage systems to run oracle db
> 9i and tools 11i.
>
> The customer is insisting that they must run SuSE, since they are
> convinced that that is the only platform on which their oracle stuff
> is certified, e.g., SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7.

The customer is in all likelihood wrong.  Oracle does considerable work
with RH.  One question you have to resolve early on is whether or not
you or the customer are going to have the final say on technical
matters, and whether or not the customer's technical information is
valid.  If the answers are "customer" and "no" respectively, this is
goiong to be a troubled relationship at best.

That said, there's a lot to be said for the distinction between
"officially supported", and "works with most effective use of our
capital".

Oracle is one of the few apps I'd probably let swing my OS decision.
It's a highly tempermental application, and .  That said, it's also been
reported to run under Debian.

    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~owend/free/oracle-linux.html

I'd make a case for running Oracle under _both_ SuSE and Debian.  The
cost of iron (HW) is such that this is a relatively inexpensive
proposition.  I'd also put it to Oracle that you're very interested in
seeing Oracle run under a reasonably current, stable, Debian.
Fortunately, Woody's just been released this summer, it's both stable
and current.  If the customer wants to see SuSE as the primary
deployment system, let it be.  Your main tasks should be getting the
boxes themselves provisioned, configured, Oracle installed, then ironing
out issues with the databse -- most of which should be readily
replicated from one box to the other (pitch Debian as a failover backup
solution to boot).

Document OS issues, both directly affecting Oracle and otherwise, on
both boxen.  My strong suspicion is that Debian's going to require
periodic apt-get updates, readily run in a matter of several minutes,
once or twice a week.

> I have not experienced SuSE for several years; rather, I've spent most
> of my time with debian.

Can't help you much there, though I've been working with RH a lot of
late.  My strong preference for Debian hasn't changed.

Peace.

   Kudos to Gateway's Digital Music Campaing & stand against the RIAA.
     http://www.gateway.com/home/deals/offers/music/dmz.shtml