Re: network folder

Corrin Lakeland, 2002-Sep-29 10:07 +1200:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:55, Jeff wrote:
> > Rhodri, 2002-Sep-28 11:51 -0700:
> > > the network drive is Unix and I want to have access to my network
> > > drive (mapping my network drive), namely,
> > >
> > > \\severname\myhomedirectory
> > >
> > > from my computer, not from the office's computer
> > > the system is controlled my  tsg (technical support group)
> > >
> > > I connect to that folder from my office's computer which runs
> > > redhat 7.3. The problem is that I do not have admistrative rights
> > > in that computer (i.e., I do not have root access), so I do not
> > > know how they did it (and I can tell you they are not going to tell
> > > me ).
> > >
> > > My own computer, this is, not the office's one, it is a novatech P4
> > > laptop which runs mainly debian (woody) although I left a litte
> > > partition for windows xp (3 Gb). Using windows, I can connect to my
> > > office's network drive using tools>map network drive> where I type
> > > the name of my server and my user name.
> > >
> > > Given that I am quite new at debian (one month using it) I am not
> > > pretty sure if I should use nfs through dhcp or I should use samba
> > > instead.
> > >
> > > I have been looking for documentation about the matter, but all I
> > > got was how to create LANs, etc.
> > > I did not find anything related with my problem
> > >
> > > If you can give some advices and/or recomend me some documentation
> > > to read (I like to read :))
> > >
> > > I would be grateful
> > >
> > > Thanks lot
> > > Rhodri
> >
> > Looks to me like TSG has setup NFS.
>
> Are you sure? He can connect from windows, and last I looked windows
> didn't support NFS out of the box, just SMB.  I'd be guessing smbmount
> personally.
>
> Also, if you're right that it is NFS, then the laptop must already be in
> the server's /etc/exports or he wouldn't be able to mount from windows.
> So all he needs to do is modify the laptop's /etc/fstab.
>
> Corrin

Ah, I missed that (obviously).  I saw that the office computer from
which he connects to the network folder is Red Hat and blanked ont he
rest.

Right then...his office computer has to running samba.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User