Re: network folder

Rhodri, 2002-Sep-28 11:51 -0700:
> the network drive is Unix and I want to have access to my network drive
> (mapping my network drive), namely,
>
> \\severname\myhomedirectory
>
> from my computer, not from the office's computer
> the system is controlled my  tsg (technical support group)
>
> I connect to that folder from my office's computer which runs redhat 7.3.
> The problem is that I do not have admistrative rights in that computer
> (i.e., I do not have root access), so I do not know how they did it (and I
> can tell you they are not going to tell me ).
>
> My own computer, this is, not the office's one, it is a novatech P4 laptop
> which runs mainly debian (woody) although I left a litte partition for
> windows xp (3 Gb). Using windows, I can connect to my office's network drive
> using tools>map network drive> where I type the name of my server and my
> user name.
>
> Given that I am quite new at debian (one month using it) I am not pretty
> sure if I should use nfs through dhcp or I should use samba instead.
>
> I have been looking for documentation about the matter, but all I got was
> how to create LANs, etc.
> I did not find anything related with my problem
>
> If you can give some advices and/or recomend me some documentation to read
> (I like to read :))
>
> I would be grateful
>
> Thanks lot
> Rhodri

Looks to me like TSG has setup NFS.  Which means that they will need
to add your laptop into the /etc/exports, /etc/hosts.deny, and
/etc/hosts.allow files on the server hosting the network drive.  All
you'd need to do is add an entry in your laptops /etc/fstab file to
mount the network directory at boot or on demand.

Bottom-line...you need TSG to allow it first.  The rest is cake!

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User