Re: network folder

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:55, Jeff wrote:
> Rhodri, 2002-Sep-28 11:51 -0700:
> > the network drive is Unix and I want to have access to my network
> > drive (mapping my network drive), namely,
> >
> > \\severname\myhomedirectory
> >
> > from my computer, not from the office's computer
> > the system is controlled my  tsg (technical support group)
> >
> > I connect to that folder from my office's computer which runs
> > redhat 7.3. The problem is that I do not have admistrative rights
> > in that computer (i.e., I do not have root access), so I do not
> > know how they did it (and I can tell you they are not going to tell
> > me ).
> >
> > My own computer, this is, not the office's one, it is a novatech P4
> > laptop which runs mainly debian (woody) although I left a litte
> > partition for windows xp (3 Gb). Using windows, I can connect to my
> > office's network drive using tools>map network drive> where I type
> > the name of my server and my user name.
> >
> > Given that I am quite new at debian (one month using it) I am not
> > pretty sure if I should use nfs through dhcp or I should use samba
> > instead.
> >
> > I have been looking for documentation about the matter, but all I
> > got was how to create LANs, etc.
> > I did not find anything related with my problem
> >
> > If you can give some advices and/or recomend me some documentation
> > to read (I like to read :))
> >
> > I would be grateful
> >
> > Thanks lot
> > Rhodri
>
> Looks to me like TSG has setup NFS.

Are you sure? He can connect from windows, and last I looked windows
didn't support NFS out of the box, just SMB.  I'd be guessing smbmount
personally.

Also, if you're right that it is NFS, then the laptop must already be in
the server's /etc/exports or he wouldn't be able to mount from windows.
So all he needs to do is modify the laptop's /etc/fstab.

Corrin