Setting up exim: was Setting up Sendmail

Hello,

Not because I gave up on Sendmail, but because of another problem (for some
reason (I believe it had to do with uninstalling Sendmail which I did in
order to start from scratch and install the package from source) when I shut
down and restarted, Apache was unavailable, all the files are in place, but
it is listed as not installed and doesn't work. apachectl start would get no
sucha commandment...anyway, to fix the Apache problem I reinstalled,
reinstalling installed exim...so I thought I would give it a spin...). But
here I am in the same situation: I can send mail outside, but I cannot
receive mail from outside or internally. The error log reads:
date refused relay (host) to <~internal@~> from <~external@~>
and one from local to local

In other words, from my little understanding: the mail is getting to me, but
it isn't being distributed. In other words, no problem at the DNS level or
at the router, some problem either with exim config or in my Debian/linux
setup. I am not sure if my Sendmail problems were caused in the same way, if
so, the problem is with my Debian/Linux setup. I have read a couple of books
and looked on the exim site with no joy.

I have the following in exim.conf
local_domains = listed:all:variations domain:domain.net:mail.domain.net
I added:
hosts_treat_as_local = all the above listed here as well
relay_domains = all the above listed here as well
NOT UNCOMMENTED: RELAY_DOMAINS_INCLUDE_LOCAL_MX = TRUE
host_lookup = *
host_auth_accept_relay = * (none set up)

I also listed all the domains and variations of the names in
/etc/hosts_allow
	ALL: domain
	ALL: domain.net
and so forth one per line; did not do anything with hosts_deny

Any pointers? Any and all help appreciated.