Re: Woody IPv6 problem finally, really, solved

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 07:38:50PM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> >Are you going to file a bug on this?
>
> There doesn't seem to be much point in this. When I asked about
> this on debian-ipv6 (the developers list) no less an authority
> than Wichert Akkerman said that it was "a feature", not a bug.

No, this is a bug.  Or at least, the fact that you can't turn IPv6
lookups *off*, even if you're running an IPv4-only host, is a bug.
There is absolutely no point in performing an extra DNS lookup when you
can't even use the result.  Since DNS lookups are expensive, this can
lead to a fairly noticable performance hit.

noah