Re: Woody IPv6 problem finally, really, solved

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 09:21:37AM +0200, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
> However, opinons are divided, and Wichert Akkerman, at least,
> now thinks it is a bug. The question is where the bug really is:
> in all the applications that are now in the process of being
> "upgraded" to ipv6 (as telnetd and exim have already been) or in
> something "central", like libc. My guess is that it is the
> former, but the jury is still out..

The bug is in the getaddrinfo function, not the programs calling it.
Getaddrinfo is responsible for the DNS lookups, and it's not smart
enough to skip the IPv6 lookups on a host that can't speak IPv6.  It
needs to be.

Programs that aren't calling getaddrinfo are buggy... gethostbyname2 is
deprecated and the programs shouldn't use it.  The ones that do call
getaddrinfo should be able to expect it to do the right thing.

noah