Re: eth0 problem after kernal package upgrade

Neal Pollock said:
> i recently upgraded my kernel from 2.2.20 to 2.4.18 using a kernel image
> via dselect.  Unfortunately when I boot the new kernel i cannot establish
> an internet connection.  Am I correct in assuming that i need to to
> check:
>
> a) eth0 is properly configured
> b) dhcpclient obtained an IP
>
> inorder to troubleshoot this problem.  i thought the new kernel would run
> all my old services and leave my system configuration untouched. what's
> happening?

do you have an eth0 interface? maybe the new kernel doesn't have a working
driver for your NIC(unlikely but it is possible). what kind of NIC?

2.2.x to 2.4.x is a MASSIVE upgrade so it's not unusual to have such a
problem IMO.

so questions:

what NIC chipset
what driver are you using
whats the output of 'lsmod'
whats the output of 'ifconfig -a'
whats the output of 'route -n'
whats the output of 'dmesg'

preferrably if you can post this on a website and post a link to
the site rather then email everything that would be best, save some
people some bandwidth.

nate