Re: eth0 problem after kernal package upgrade

Neal Pollock wrote:
i recently upgraded my kernel from 2.2.20 to 2.4.18 using a kernel image via
dselect.  Unfortunately when I boot the new kernel i cannot establish an
internet connection.  Am I correct in assuming that i need to to check:

a) eth0 is properly configured
b) dhcpclient obtained an IP

inorder to troubleshoot this problem.  i thought the new kernel would run
all my old services and leave my system configuration untouched. what's
happening?

neal.

Neal,

I have had this same problem. The cause is that some of the 2.2.XX series kernels have various NIC driver code built-into the kernel code and the NIC is thus detected automatically. The 2.4.XX kernels are designed to be modular and few have this code compiled into the kernel. Another complication is that at least one of the NIC driver modules has changed its name from the 2.2.XX series to the 2.4.XX series. This is the code for any RealTek 8139 chipset. Even if you were using the "rtl8139.o" module in 2.2.20, it doesn't exist in 2.4.18! The relevant new module is the 8139too.o module.

Since you didn't say which NIC you have, it is hard to specifically diagnose your problem, but I would recommend you use modconf to insert the proper driver module for your NIC. This course of action would cover both situations described above. Alternatively, if you know the correct module for your NIC in the 2.4.18 kernel, then you can just add it to the /etc/modules file.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-