Re: Security problem: rbash isn't working on initial invocation

* Bob George (bob.george@ttlexceeded.com) [020926 11:40]:
> I'm using bash on Debian 'testing'. I've created a symlink /bin/rbash
> that points to /bin/bash, and prior to upgrading to 3, it worked as
> expected. Users could not do "cd .." and other restricted functions as
> described in the manpage. I only recently noticed that this is NOT
> currently working.

> Notice that although rbash is shown as the current shell, the user can
> move up the directory tree. Also, /bin/date (etc.) can be executed with
> no problems.  Now, what's really maddening, if I call /bin/rbash, it
> works properly:rbash-2.05b$

> -rbash-2.05b$ /bin/rbash
> rbash-2.05b$ pwd

Well, there's a clue about why it's not working the way you expect: bash
enters restricted mode when invoked as 'rbash', but it's being invoked
as '-rbash' from login.

So that's the "why", but unfortunately I don't know the proper way to
set it up.

good times,
Vineet
--