Re: rpc.statd won't run when rootfs mounted readonly

Heinrich Rebehn said:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with rpc.statd. We run our linux machines as diskless
> clients, they mount their root fs via nfs from a server. For security
> reasons i would like to export the root fs readonly. However, rpc.statd
> will not run. It exits without an error message, but reports
>
> Sep 26 15:33:48 rpc.statd[680]: Version 1.0 Starting
> Sep 26 15:33:53 rpc.statd[681]: unable to register (statd, 1, udp).
>
> via syslog.

is your /var/lib/nfs writable ? do any other rpc services start besides
portmap? It may be a portmapper problem since it's saying it cannot register
the service(which tells me that portmapper is having trouble). I also
see that statd uses /var/lib/nfs(as above).

you may want to look into re-configuring your root filesystems for
read-only-friendly configuration. A while back someone pointed me
to the BBLCD project which creates a bootable linux distro on a CD,
it does a few hacks to the system to redirect files that need to be
written to a ramdisk which is created at startup. It wouldn't be
hard I think to adapt it to network booting. The BBLCD project is
here:

http://www.bablokb.de/bblcd/

nate