rpc.statd won't run when rootfs mounted readonly

Hi,

I have a problem with rpc.statd. We run our linux machines as diskless clients,
they mount their root fs via nfs from a server. For security reasons i would
like to export the root fs readonly. However, rpc.statd will not run. It exits
without an error message, but reports

Sep 26 15:33:48 rpc.statd[680]: Version 1.0 Starting
Sep 26 15:33:53 rpc.statd[681]: unable to register (statd, 1, udp).

via syslog.

Can someone help?

Regards

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

E-mail: mailto:rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de
Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341