RE: G550 / XFree86

I had the same problem.  I used the drivers from the matrox site
(mgadrivers-2.0.tgz)
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/files/lnx_200.cfm

Then disable framebuffers and make sure you don't have a duplicate mouse
entry in XF86Config-4:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "mga"
        #Option         "UseFBDev"              "true"

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"