G550 / XFree86

I found a volume of information, but seem to be missing something.
I use a matrox G550, and when I installed, X would not run (the actual
error is (EE) No devices detected).  There's bound to be a FAQ
somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding such a beast in text mode.  I
found a bunch of references to G400s, but not too much in the g550 area.

I have upgraded now to xfree 4.2.1, but the driver still does not appear
to be finding the card.  Is there some support package I must also
upgrade?

Tom