Re: Configuring Kernel Options (/usr/src/linux/.config)

Andy Saxena wrote:

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 01:42:39PM -0700, nate wrote:
never used oldconfig, I usually just manually re-configure each kernel
as I get them(habbit? maybe).

How do you do it? Isn't it a pain to go through the entire configuration
routine when, perhaps, all you want is an additional feature that's
recently become stable? Or, perhaps, you want an additional feature that
you didn't compile in previously?

Also, I'd like to know that if I copied .config from 2.4.4 to 2.4.19,
what happens to the new configuration features  that may have become
available in 2.4.19. For example, would NEW_FEATURE show up in the
correct category when I do "make menuconfig"?

Thanks.
Andy

No pain at all.
If you dont do anything make-kpkg wil actually run make oldconfig.
Everything new shows up.
Just read and try, you cant mess up to bad. Nothing will happen unless you install the package you build, run some commands, go to bed, work, school, movie, or something and see if you have a .deb waiting when you get back.
If it builds its ok, if not something is wrong....

http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=626
should give you some leads.
My advice: build own kernels from source in /usr/local/src until you have it up and running, and symlink afterwords if you want.
Good luck
Kenneth