Configuring Kernel Options (/usr/src/linux/.config)

Hi,

I want to know if there are any side-effects of copying the .config file
from one kernel source tree to another.

Specifically, there are two cases that I am interested in:

1.) Copying config file from the 2.2 series to the 2.4 series.
2.) Copying the config file from one minor version to another within the
same series.

I have seen plenty of questions asked about compiling a custom kernel,
but I don't remember this issue being tackled in any of them.

Thanks,
Andy