Re: Configuring Kernel Options (/usr/src/linux/.config)

Andy Saxena said:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know if there are any side-effects of copying the .config file
> from one kernel source tree to another.
>
> Specifically, there are two cases that I am interested in:
>
> 1.) Copying config file from the 2.2 series to the 2.4 series.

I wouldn't try this..

> 2.) Copying the config file from one minor version to another within the
> same series.

You can do this, there is a make target called 'oldconfig' which is
supposed to migrate an older config file to the new kernel. I haven't
heard of people using it from 2.2x->2.4.x but I would be suprised if
it worked. I've been compiling kernels since mid 1997 and really have
never used oldconfig, I usually just manually re-configure each kernel
as I get them(habbit? maybe).

nate