Re: having problem with X on woody with r128

b d wrote:

hah.  I thought I had enough skills to do this (and
no, man apt-get, didn't seem to help me either - :) ).

I put Branden's line in my sources.list (deb
http://people.debian.org/%7Ebranden/ sid/i386/) and
did an apt-get update and upgrade, and it all looked
fine and dandy that 8 packages relating to X were
being upgraded.  I went through their configuration,
clicking okay that they were experimental packages
etc.... however, it never fully upgraded them... startx still tries to load X 4.1.....

running apt-get upgrade again, i get...

the following packages have been kept back
libdps1 libxaw7 xbase-clients xlibmesa3 xlibs
xserver-common xserver-xfree86 xutils
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove
and 8 not upgraded.

Did I forget something?  How can I fix please?

Try running apt-get install 'package' instead of upgrade.
It will probably return a message that xyz extra packages will be installled
Kenneth

Thanks,
Brad.

--- Bill Morgan <bilmor@austin.rr.com> wrote:
This card worked fine for me under X 3.36, but
failed under
Woody's X 4.1, which I find a little puzzling.

I wound up using Branden's somewhat experimental
XFree86 4.2
located at:

   http://people.debian.org/~branden/

There's a list of mirrors at:

   http://raw.no/x4.2/

It's working fine for me now, but I still haven't
worked
out all of the apt pinning issues to keep it up to
date.
That's high on my to-do list, so someday....

HTH and Good Luck,

Bill

(Continuing top-posting because that's the way this
thread
is going.)

On 9/25/02 9:34 AM, "b d"