Re: A USB Mouse Remedy

-- Richard Spillane <rspillan@ic.sunysb.edu> wrote
(on Monday, 23 September 2002, 06:50 PM -0400):
> I have been having trouble getting my Logitech USB mouse to work on Debian.
>
> When presented at the installation with what driver to use, I had these
> choices:
> psaux
> ttys0
> ttys1
> ttys2
> input/mouse
> and some other options for specialty mice like a Sun mouse or a Microsoft
> Bus mouse.
>
> I decided the safest bet was psaux, then it asked me these things:
> PS/2
> Brand Name PS/2
>
> but all the options were "prefix" PS/2.  Now I am thinking I wasted yet MORE
> time, because I chose psaux instead of what my gut told me, input/mouse.
> Now what should I do?
Shoulda' gone with your gut. The usb drivers load mice at input/mouse or
input/mice. All is not lost, however... read on.

First,
    apt-get install usbmgr
This software loads some basic usb layers. Next, you need to tell it
what to look for. Become root (su, or sudo su), and go to /etc/usbmgr.
There, you'll need to edit preload.conf (if it doesn't exist, create it;
usually, just do a 'vi preload.conf' and it will either edit it or
create it and open it to edit for you). Add teh following lines:
    hid
    mousedev
Next, do a 'less /proc/interrupts' and look for one of the following:
uhci, ohci, usb-uhci, or usb-ohci. You're looking for ohci or uhci. You
will then edit (in /etc/usbmgr) usbmgr.conf. The first section is
labelled HOST CONTROLLER, and you want a line stating 'host ' and the
type of controller you found (uhci, ohci, usb-uhci, usb-ohci). Make
certain there isn't a '#' (which denotes a comment) at the start of the line.

The next section is called "BEEP" You want the line 'beep off', with no
comment at the beginning of the line (otherwise usbmgr beeps a LOT at
startup and shutdown). Now save the file and exit.

Execute (still as root) '/etc/init.d/usbmgr start', and your mouse
should now be detected and functional.

Next, go into /etc/X11. Edit XF86Config or XF86Config-4 -- whichever has
the "InputDevice" sections. Find the "Mouse1" InputDevice section.
Change the "Protocol" to "IMPS/2" (this last should be quoted). Also
change the "Device" to "/dev/input/mice" (again, quoted). If you have a
mouse wheel, add a line in the section as follows:
    Option "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"

And that's it. Fire it up!

Hope this works for you!

--Matthew