Re: A USB Mouse Remedy

    "Richard" == Richard Spillane <rspillan@ic.sunysb.edu> writes:

    Richard> I have been having trouble getting my Logitech USB mouse
    Richard> to work on Debian.  So I got some advice from the list,
    Richard> and one gentleman said his worked "out of the box".  I
    Richard> have a Woody set, so since I had JUST installed, I
    Richard> decided it would be easier to simply reinstall.  However
    Richard> I am STILL not sure if I did it right:

Here is a quick cheat sheet to get you going. I'm not expert, but this
should help you:

Install the X server. By default the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 should
have lines like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Look for it, be sure it is in there. Debian drops this in even if you
choose psaux.

Make usre /dev/input/mice exists

$ ls -l /dev/input/mice
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 24  2002 /dev/input/mice

Install the hotplug package if you have not already

apt-get install hotplug

Try starting X.

If it does not work tell us let us look at your XF86Config-4 file.

Cheers!
Shyamal