Re: Naming convention invalid (local) domain

Robert Ian Smit said:

> I could ofcourse also make up a domain name. For instance robian.inv or
> something like that. Would that make more sense than just @robian in the
> MID? I want to be sure that should my domainname ever "get out", (i.e.
> mail headers) I don't cause problems or confuse people.

if you don't own a domain I would make one up, and would try to
make one that is not taken, but something that is unusual enough that
it probably won't be taken. then you can configure your MTA to masq your
email to change all messages to show your real email address.

seeing strange domains shouldn't confuse anyone if it's in the headers,
lots of places use non existant domains(at least to the outside world)
on the networks(including me) which show up on mail headers, I've never
had someone say to me it was confusing to them.

now if your "From" address is different that could confuse someone,
but that can be fixed by masqerauding the message(sendmail term), postfix
calls it something else(forgot what), qmail/exim may call it something
else too.

In cases where I had a system which didn't have a valid domain name I
never used it for internet mail anyways, I just relayed through my ISP.

nate