Re: Naming convention invalid (local) domain

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 01:16:52AM +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:
> I am using dyndns, and was wondering if I could use my subdomain
> from that service as a domain. I only use dyndns to be able to log

yes ofcourse (I take it you mean <subdomain>.dyndns.org).  You know,
a valid domainname doesn't imply there is a server out there with that
name, well hell, there even doesn't have to be a machine at all.
The important thing is that you don't use someone else's domain!
Otherwise all complains about your net behaviour would get directed
to the wrong guy:)

> I could ofcourse also make up a domain name. For instance robian.inv
> or something like that. Would that make more sense than just @robian
> in the MID? I want to be sure that should my domainname ever "get out",
> (i.e. mail headers) I don't cause problems or confuse people.

The official sanctionized way of doing it is using *your* real
domainname.  If you don't have a domainname, or don't want to use it,
add ".invalid" to whatever hostname you happen to use indicating to
the world out there it's a fake domain.  By some RFC it's spelled
".invalid" instead of your ".inv", better stick to that.

If it's just for mail you can get away by letting exim rewrite all
headers of outgoing mail.  Take care that you include atleast a valid
return adress, and often a (seamingly) valid Envelope From adress is
needed too, but all others may be fake ones preferrrably ending in
".invalid".

--
groetjes, carel