Re: apt-get upgrade from testing broke aptitude, kpackage

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 09:13:06AM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Sunday 22 September 2002 21:28, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 11:37:50AM -0700, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> > > I did a routine apt-get upgrade today from testing.  There were a
> > > ton of updated packages including libc, rpm etc.  However now
> > > when I try to run aptitude it says loading cache and locks up.
> > > For kpackage it says
> > > kpackage: error while loading shared libraries:
> > > librpmdb-4.0.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> > > or directory
> > > So I'm guessing its the rpm upgrade that broke all that stuff..
> > > Should I revert to an older version of rpm?  How do I do this
> > > outside of aptitude?
> >
> > I'm not seeing that error here.
> >
> > I suspect that something didn't get updated properly.  'apt-cache show
> > kpackage' indicates a depends on librpm >= 4.0.3, while the new
> > librpm is version 4.0.4 which satisfies this.
> >
> > Try 'apt-get check', which may indicate where the problem lies.
>
> I have notices this as well.  While the kpackage deb may say that it
> requires >= 4.0.3, is seems to be calling for 4.0.3 explicitly and
> failing with the latest librpm4_4.0.4 which only contains -4.0.4.so's.
>
> I emailed the maintainer of kpackage about this some weeks ago, but
> have had no reply.
>
> David

I misunderstood the original problem as related to upgrading.  A bad
depends wouldn't show up there, but would affect actually running the
program. I tried running kpackage and got the message that it couldn't
find 4.0.3, which confirms that there is a problem.

The best way to report it is to file a bug report.  Indeed, bug #157280
has already been filed regarding this problem.

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy@n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA