Re: i810 and X (and automatic power-down)

Success! Thanks to everyone for all your excellent help.

For the archives, here is what it took to get the system to power-off at shutdown and to get X working.

In /etc/lilo.conf, I added this line to the section that boots Linux:

    append="mem=511M apm=on"

The "apm=on" turns on power management. The "mem=511M" is something I'm not entirely sure I need. The i810 needs to reserve 1MB of system memory for its own use. It used to be that you had to tell the kernel to use 1MB less RAM than is actually installed when running with an i810. I don't know if that's still the case with current kernels, but I added the option to be sure.

The idepci kernel that I used when installing the system doesn't seem to make the agpgart driver available - the file agpgart.o wasn't in the file system and didn't appear in modconf. Searching http://packages.debian.org for agpgart.o showed it was in the base/kernel-image package. So, I used dselect to install base/kernel-image out of stable. I double-checked /etc/lilo.conf to make sure it would let me boot the new kernel and reran "lilo -v" to make sure everything was installed. One reboot later, I ran modconf to install agpgart, and X started right up.

Onward to the next thing. Thanks again for all the help!

- Jeff Cours