Re: Reset root password

On  0, nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> wrote:
> Matthew Daubenspeck said:
> > I have acquired a "hand me down" debian potato box that I need to do some
> > serious overhaul work on, but the old admin doesn't remember the root
> > password.
> >
> > Does anyone have a quick and dirty FAQ or doc on how to reset/change the
> > root password?
>
> if its using lilo the easy way is when you see the LILO prompt hit shift
> then type
>
> linux init=/bin/bash
>
> then once the system is up do
>
> mount / -o remount,rw

then 'passwd'?  Or is there some reason that doesn't work?

Tom

--
Tom Cook

Why are Fire Engines Red?
  They have four wheels and eight men; four plus eight is twelve.
    Twelve inches make a ruler; a ruler is Queen Elizabeth.
  Queen Elizabeth sails the seven seas; the seven seas have fish.
    The fish have fins; the Finns hate the Russians.
  The Russians are red; fire engines are always rushin'.
    So they're red.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au