Re: i810 and X (and automatic power-down)

Jeff Cours said:
> Hi, everyone -

> (--) I810(0): Chipset: "i810"
> (--) I810(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xE0000000
> (--) I810(0): IO registers at addr 0xE6000000
> (EE) Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such device)
> (**) I810(0): Will alloc AGP framebuffer: 16384 kByte
>
> I've verified that /dev/agpgart exists, so I'm guessing something else
> is going on here. I've put the entire log file, a working XF86Config-4
> from this machine's Mandrake personality, the XF86Config-4 that dpkg
> gave me, and a listing of /boot here:

you need to load the agpgart module that is compadible with your i810
video since i810 shares memory with the system. on my sister's i810
system running 2.4.18(suse 8) the module is infact agpgart(I thought
it may be something else named after the card..)

> Second question is with power off during a shutdown -h. For some reason,
> the Mandrake distro automatically powers down the machine, while the
> Debian one doesn't. I didn't notice any different kernel flags or
> command line parameters to halt in the various rc.* scripts, so I was
> wondering if there might be something else I should be checking.

I believe debian disables apm on the default kernels since not all
systems are compadible with it(my mom's CTX laptop for example will
crash hard when APM is turned on). You can possibly override this
by putting apm=on in the append statement for /etc/lilo.conf and
re-running lilo. if your using grub I'm not certain what the procedure
would be since I haven't configured grub yet.

nate