Re: Strange problem with directories containing spaces after upgrade to testing...

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 06:23:37PM +0200, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded my computer from stable to testing, and I noticed one strange
> thing: I cant cd into directories that have spaces in their names any
> more. I may use them with some programs but they will not work with
> others. As an examle I did a simple test:
>
> [snaggen] ask:~$mkdir dir\ with\ spaces
> [snaggen] ask:~$cd dir\ with\ spaces/
> bash: cd: dir: No such file or directory
> [snaggen] ask:~$rmdir dir\ with\ spaces/
>
> As seen I can create and remove the directoy but not cd into it. It may
> be a problem with bash since cd is a built in command, but I'm not realy
> sure about that.Gstreamer from experimental seems to have problem with
> this too.. Ok, It is experimental software so the crashes might be
> totaly unrelated, and I never tested it on my woody installation.
> previous mail in this mailing list about this....

As a rule of thumb, I would try not to use dirs with spaces. But we
all know that rules of thumbs don't always apply :)

Try using quotes and skip the \'s
$mkdir "dir with spaces"
$cd "dir with spaces"

Works like a charm :)