Re: Strange problem with directories containing spaces after upgrade to testing...

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 06:23:37PM +0200, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
> I upgraded my computer from stable to testing, and I noticed one strange
> thing: I cant cd into directories that have spaces in their names any
> more. I may use them with some programs but they will not work with
> others. As an examle I did a simple test:
>
> [snaggen] ask:~$mkdir dir\ with\ spaces
> [snaggen] ask:~$cd dir\ with\ spaces/
> bash: cd: dir: No such file or directory
> [snaggen] ask:~$rmdir dir\ with\ spaces/

On unstable:

  [cjwatson@arborlon ~/tmp]$ mkdir dir\ with\ spaces
  [cjwatson@arborlon ~/tmp]$ cd dir\ with\ spaces/
  [cjwatson@arborlon ~/tmp/dir with spaces]$ cd ..
  [cjwatson@arborlon ~/tmp]$ rmdir dir\ with\ spaces/
  [cjwatson@arborlon ~/tmp]$

Do you have a shell alias set up for cd, perhaps?

> Gstreamer from experimental seems to have problem with this too..

If something can't cope with spaces in filenames then you can
legitimately file a bug. It's quite easy to get this wrong in Unix.

> //Snaggen, who is not on the list so keep my CC

A Mail-Followup-To: header would help - I almost missed this.

Cheers,