Re: Can't make internet connection

    "Jerry" == Jerry Van Brimmer <jerryvb@toast.net> writes:

    Jerry> Hi All, I'm brand spanking new to debian. I have managed to
    Jerry> get Woody installed, and now I'm trying to get ppp
    Jerry> configured. I installed kppp and am using that to try to
    Jerry> connect to the internet. I created all of my account and
    Jerry> modem settings in kppp to match the ones in kppp in my
    Jerry> Mandrake installation. In Woody, when I dial my isp, as
    Jerry> soon as kppp tries to make the connection I get an error
    Jerry> message window saying pppd exited with an "Exit status
    Jerry> 1". Man pppd says: "An immediately fatal error of some kind
    Jerry> occurred, such as an essential system call failing, or run-
    Jerry> ning out of virtual memory." I have no idea what that
    Jerry> means. Can someone help please?

Disclaimer: I don't use kppp or a modem anymore. However be aware that
if you are running kppp as a normal user, that user should be in the
dialout group. For example, on my system

$ ls -l /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 Jan 24  2002 /dev/ttyS0

Basically, add your user id to /etc/group for the dialout line. Log
out, login, verify that you are in the group with the groups command.

It's been a while since I used ppp (thanks to my DSL connection :-)
but I would certainly suggest looking into pppconfig unless you are
very partial to KDE.

Cheers!
Shyamal