PGP key signing parties

Hello all,

I'm currently doing a research on the sociological aspects of key-signing parties in the Debian community. Though I know how it works in theory, I'm interested in hearing from people who have attended these parties to know their impressions. More specifically, I'd like to know :
*are these parties as formal as they're supposed to be (for instance, are the two forms of picture IDs essential, or is there some leeway ?)
* what are the topics of conversation (I suppose cryptograhy and security issues are big, but are there others ?)
* what are the requirements for the maintainers ?
* etc...

If you'd like to share your opinions on the subject, I'd be glad to hear about them.
Thanks in advance,