Can't make internet connection

Hi All,
I'm brand spanking new to debian. I have managed to get Woody installed,
and now I'm  trying to get ppp configured. I installed kppp and am using
that to try to connect to the internet. I created all of my account and
modem settings in kppp to match the ones in kppp in my Mandrake
installation. In Woody, when I dial my isp, as soon as kppp tries to
make the connection I get an error message window saying pppd exited
with an "Exit status 1". Man pppd says: "An immediately fatal error of
some kind occurred, such as an essential system call failing, or run-
ning out of virtual memory." I have no idea what that means. Can someone
help please?

Thanks