Re: devfs changing group id for device

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 06:23, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> How do I change the group ID for a device with devfs?
> Right now my scanner is on:
> crwx------    1 root     root      21,   1 Dec 31  1969 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/generic
>
> I have to go in and chmod 777 to run the scanner as a user.
> I would like to set the device up as crwxrwx--- and change the group to scanner so I can add
> users to the group scanner to access it.

Create a file called /etc/devfs/conf.d/scanner. It should have the
following line:

REGISTER ^scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0/generic PERMISSIONS root.scanner 0660

The line above is triggered when devfs first sees the device, so those
perms won't happen automatically until you either reload the sg module
or reboot.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA