Re: Problems upgrading to testing dist...

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 09:52:53PM -0400, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 05:53:50AM -0600, Dave Bartmess wrote:
> > Removing libdb1-compat ...
> > dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, directory `/usr/share/doc'
> > not empty so not removed.
> > dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, directory `/usr/share' not
> > empty so not removed.
> > dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, unable to remove directory
> > `/usr': Device or resource busy - directory may be a mount point ?
> > dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, directory `/lib' not empty
> > so not removed.
> > dpkg: error processing libdb1-compat (--remove):
> >  cannot remove `/.': Invalid argument
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  libdb1-compat
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> To me this looks like libdb1-compat was successfully removed. I sure
> wouldn't want dpkg to remove /usr/share/doc/, /usr/share, /usr, /lib,
> or /.

To me it looks like dpkg has forgotten about all other files in
/usr/share/doc! Normally it wouldn't try to remove that directory.

This certainly isn't normal, but I'm not sure where to start diagnosing
it from a distance. I wonder if /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list are intact.