Re: Problems upgrading to testing dist...

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 05:53:50AM -0600, Dave Bartmess wrote:
> 	I'm trying to upgrade my system to the testing distro. But I made the
> mistake of going to unstable first, and had all kinds of errors trying
> to install, because libc6 wouldn't install.

The only dependency libc6 has in sid is libdb1-compat. You should be
able to easily install by:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives    [or to where you downloaded the debs]
dpkg -i libc6_2.2.5-14.2_i386.deb libdb1-compat_2.1.3-4_i386.deb

I have testing installed but with libc6_2.2.5 and a few other sid
packages. Everything seems to run fine.

> So I decided to go back to
> the testing dist. Now I run into NEW problems, as I can't remove the
> unstable versions, and it won't let me install any testing versions as a
> result.
>
> My question is, HOW do I reset everything and force it to re-install
> from the testing dist???

You may be able to do downgrade with an /etc/apt/preferences like:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1001

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 60

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 100

Alternative, if your system is working without major problems, and you
have the patience, set /etc/apt/preferences to:

 Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 60

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 100

and just do normal apt-get upgrades. As packages migrate from sid to
testing, your system will gracefully downgrade to testing.

> This is what I get when I try to install from testing now...
>
> $ sudo apt-get -f install perl-base
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   libdb1-compat: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5-13) but it is not going to be
> installed
>   perl-base: PreDepends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4) but it is not going to be
> installed

What version of libc6 is installed?

> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).
> dingodave@dingo:~
> $ sudo apt-get -f install libc6
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   libdb1-compat: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.5-13) but 2.2.5-6 is to be
> installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution).

Did you try just running:
# apt-get -f install

> 	OK, so this package won't install... And it's stopping me from
> installing other packages (MANY!) So I try to remove libdb1-compat, and
> get the following:
>
> $ sudo apt-get -f remove libdb1-compat
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libdb1-compat
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
> 1 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 111kB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> (Reading database ... 19 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing libdb1-compat ...
> dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, directory `/usr/share/doc'
> not empty so not removed.
> dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, directory `/usr/share' not
> empty so not removed.
> dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, unable to remove directory
> `/usr': Device or resource busy - directory may be a mount point ?
> dpkg - warning: while removing libdb1-compat, directory `/lib' not empty
> so not removed.
> dpkg: error processing libdb1-compat (--remove):
>  cannot remove `/.': Invalid argument
>  libdb1-compat

To me this looks like libdb1-compat was successfully removed. I sure
wouldn't want dpkg to remove /usr/share/doc/, /usr/share, /usr, /lib,
or /. I think files in libdb1-compat were originally in libc6, you may
need to reinstall libc6.

--
Jerome