Re: Testing has broken my fonts today

On 18 Sep 2002 13:51:56 -0400
"Paul Smith" <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

> You should not need to do both.
>
> Defoma font management is a _replacement_ for the part of the
> update-ms-fonts script that was commented out; that's why it was
> commented out.

Right, I understand that this is what is supposed to happen.

> The "Right Way" is to not uncomment stuff from the update-ms-fonts
> script, but rather to allow Defoma to manage the fonts correctly.  If,
> for some reason, this doesn't work automatically then you need to
> report a bug on this.

There already is a bug on this (I think).
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=160902&repeatmerged=yes

According to the bugreport:

"Defoma does not create symlinks as the previous msttcorefonts package
did." and

"Changing the /usr/sbin/update-ms-fonts script to the previous behavior
by uncommenting the creation of the symlinks and commenting the deletion
of the symlinks returns the system to a working state regarding these
fonts."

Simply installing Defoma and x-ttcidfont-conf.d (also adding relevent
FontPath entries in XF86Config-4) did not get things working.  Only
after I proceeded to modify the script did things work again.  I guess
it's just a bug.  I do appreciate that you've pointed out the *Right
Way*, as it's clarified my undestanding of the situation.  I'm not
exactly a guru :)

> Strange that you didn't have defoma installed, though, because the
> msttcorefonts package Depends on defoma... how could you install
> msttcorefonts without it?

I had an older version of msttcorefonts installed.  I gather that the
defoma dependency is a new one?  Though perhaps I'm wrong about this.
At any rate, defoma was not installed on my system.  I ended up doing an
apt-get remove --purge msttcorefonts, and then apt-get install
msttcorefonts to make sure that nothing was left over from the old
installation.  I have no idea if this was necessary or not, but I didn't
think this could hurt.  I think defoma was installed at the time of my
fresh installation as of this morning.  From other posts, it appears
that msttcorefonts doesn't currently depend upon x-ttcidfont-conf.d; is
this indeed the case?