Installation: pkgs held back question

Hi

Thanks for the help from members of the list. I'd like some more help,
please.

I noticed the warning about openssl security. I found it installed on my
Woody system. I wanted the latest security (and other) updates.

I attempted to update my system using

	apt-get update

then iterating

	apt-get dist-upgrade || apt-get -f install

I have appended the results from this command and dpkg -l and
dpkg --audit at the end of this message.

I was successful recently in updating to Stable from Woody pre-beta (Nov
2001) by repeating the above apt-get commands until updating stoped.

This time this command upgraded one package.  It noted that 240 packages
were held back. On the next iteration it told me that 240 pacages were
held back, and "0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and
241 not upgraded."

Repeating this command does nothing more except attempt to install a
kernel image I do not want. (That is Question 2, below)

Question 1: How do I "take these packages off hold" or otherwise make the
update continue. OR -- do I want to do this?

This command tried to install a 2.20 kernel. It noticed that I have 2.20
modules and politely asked whether to replace them. I don't want the 2.2
kernel, I am very happy with 2.4.14-k6 kernel. It offered the opportunity
to stop, so I said stop now.

Question 2: How do I tell the package system not to install the 2.20
kernel?

As usual, if I have failed to read somthing I should have, feel free to
flame, or just say so.

David Teague

dpkg --audit
gives no output

dpkg -l
I believe the output from this tells me the packages that are "kept
back" are "on hold"

Here is output from my attempt to upgrade:

elentari:~#  apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 241  not upgraded.
elentari:~# apt-get dist-upgrade || apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  a2ps aalib1 acct addressbook adduser analog asclock-themes at
base-passwd bc bin86 bing
  binstats bison bplay bsdmainutils bug byacc bzip2 cdparanoia cdtool
cflow cgilib clisp
  compface console-data cutils cvs cweb dc debian-policy debianutils dict
diff dupload
  e2fsck-static e2fsprogs electric-fence elkdoc elvis-tiny emacsen-common
enlightenment
  enlightenment-data enlightenment-theme-shinymetal enscript epic
esound-clients exmh fileutils
  finger fmirror fnlib-data freetype2 ftp-ssl ftpd-ssl funny-manpages gawk
gcl gdk-imlib1
  gettext-base ghostview giftrans gimp-data-extras gnome-applets
gnome-control-center gnome-core
  gnome-help-data gnome-panel-data gnome-session gnome-users-guide gpm
grep gs gtop gv host
  iamerican ibritish imagemagick imlib-base imlib1 indent info iptraf
ispell java-common jed kbd
  klogd latex2html lftp lha libast1 libbz2-1.0 libcap1 libcapplet0
libcdparanoia0 libcompfaceg1
  libcompress-zlib-perl libconvert-ber-perl libcurses-perl libdbi-perl
libedb1 libfnlib0
  libft-perl libgd1 libghttp1 libglade-gnome0 libglade0 libgnome-vfs0
libgpmg1 libgtop1
  libjpeg-progs libjpeg62 libkpathsea3 liblcms libldap2 liblwres1
libmagick5 libmng1 libnet-perl
  libnewt0 libnss-db libogg0 libperl5.6 libplot libpng2 libpopt0
libproplist0 libpvm3 libsasl7
  libscrollkeeper0 libsdl-image1.2 libssl0.9.6 libterm-readkey-perl
libtimedate-perl libungif3g
  liburi-perl libvorbis0 libwrap0 libwww-perl libwww0 libxml1 logrotate
lpr lurkftp m4 mailagent
  mailx make make-doc manpages menu mesag3 mime-support miscfiles motifnls
mtools mtr ncftp
  ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses-term netbase netkit-inetd netkit-ping
netpbm-nonfree nvi oleo
  openssl patch perl perl-base perl-doc perl-modules perl-suid perl-tk
perlmagick playmidi
  procmeter pstoedit pstotext psutils queso r5rs-doc rpm rsync
scrollkeeper scsh sendfile
  sharutils sortmail ssh stat stl-manual strace sudo svgalibg1 sysklogd
t1lib1 talk talkd tar
  tcpd telnet telnetd tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-doc tetex-extra texinfo
tkdiff unhtml update
  whiptail xbanner xbmbrowser xcolorsel xearth xemacs21
xemacs21-basesupport xemacs21-bin
  xemacs21-nomule xemacs21-support xftp xinput xkeycaps xless xloadimage
xlockmore xmaddressbook
  xmbdfed xnetload xodo xpaint xpaste xviewg xvt xzoom ytalk
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 240  not upgraded.

Need to get 0B/5943kB of archives. After unpacking 422kB will be used. Do
you want to continue? [Y/n]

(Reading database ... 63899 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kernel-image-2.2.20 2.2.20-1 (using
.../kernel-image-2.2.20_2.2.20-5_i386.deb) ...
You are attempting to install a kernel image (version 2.2.20)
However, the directory /lib/modules/2.2.20 still exists.  If this
directory belongs to a previous kernel-image-2.2.20 package, and if
you have deselected some modules, or installed standalone modules
packages, this could be bad. However, if this directory exists because
you are also installing some stand alone modules right now, and they
got unpacked before I did, then this is pretty benign.  Unfortunately,
I can't tell the difference.

If /lib/modules/2.2.20 belongs to a old install of
kenel-image-2.2.20, this is your last chance to abort the
installation of this kernel image (nothing has been changed yet).

If this directory is because of stand alone modules being installed
right now, or if it does belong to an older kernel-image-2.2.20
package but you know what you are doing, and if you feel that this
image should be installed despite this anomaly, Please answer n to the
question.

Otherwise, I suggest you move /lib/modules/2.2.20 out of the way,
perhaps to /lib/modules/2.2.20.old or something, and then try
re-installing this image.
Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]
Ok, Aborting
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-image-2.2.20_2.2.20-5_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-image-2.2.20_2.2.20-5_i386.deb
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 241  not upgraded.
elentari:~#