Re: unstable, just how unstable is it

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 05:25:19AM -0700, Charles Baker wrote:
> --- Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > glibc is pretty much fixed, although you'll have a temporary problem
> > upgrading to the current libc6/locales combination because they're
> > out of sync on i386. (Will be fixed this evening.)
> >
> > perl is nearly done, see
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-perl-0209/msg00012.html.
> >
> > I can't speak for python.
>
> Thanks, I just didn't know where to look for the answers. How do you
> keep up with all of it, or even a decent sized portion of such a large
> distro?

Mostly, I just read debian-devel and other lists, and pay attention to
what's going on when I upgrade unstable and what co-workers say. I also
helped with both the recent glibc and perl problems.

Virtually all of Debian happens on mailing lists - if you follow enough
of the important ones, you can get a pretty good idea of what's going
on. There are also bug lists at
http://bugs.debian.org/~cjwatson/severity.cgi which often record the
worst things that are wrong at the moment.

It'd be nice if we could have a "current status of unstable" web page
somewhere, but the mind boggles as to how much work it would be to
maintain it ...

> BTW, are you the glibc maintainer?

Not even close. :) The nearest I get is being the libdb1-compat
maintainer, and that was just because it didn't look like anyone else
was interested.

Oh yeah ... by all accounts don't upgrade unstable just today, the
fileutils -> coreutils renaming has been a bit shaky. That should be
fine by tomorrow.