Re: Setting-up CDRW

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:44:07PM -0700, Michael Olds wrote:
> Requesting Help Setting-up CDRW
> ---------------
> I had this same hardware setup running under RH7.3
>
> Intel 845 P4 1.6G; 768MbRAM
> Debian: 2.4.18-bf2.4

This is the kernel version, not the debian. Debian is 3.0, I suppose.

> the SCSI emulation module was installed during the initial setup, and
> lsmod returned: ide-scsi used 0  (Does the "used 0" mean anything?)

It means, the module ide-scsi is currently not needed.

> Question:
> /dev/cdrom  /cdrom      iso9660  ro,user,noauto    0     0
> remains in /etc/fstab. Is this correct?

Do you have an extra cd-rom? Then this is correct.

> ---------------
> When I run cdrecord I get the following message:
> "Unable ... could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
> ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?"

What did you give cdrecord as dev= argument? It needs to be the
(pseudo)scsi-device with bus,target,lun e.g. dev=0,0,0

> When I run cdrecord -scanbus I get:
> No such file or directory.
> (Thinking that this might be something like setting up a new partition, I
> set up a
> directory under / named  "cdrw"
> but that did not solve the problem.

Did you really load all necessary modules? Can you post the ide- and
scsi-section of your /boot/config-2.4.18? Are the appropriate entries
in /dev present? Especially /dev/sg*? The output looks like missing
/dev entries.

Christoph