RE: Setting-up CDRW

OK, again thanks for many suggested avenues of inquiry. However I am at an
impass. I will try to update the situation completely here while answering
the questions of those who asked for more information.

<--------------Linux Setup-------------->
Intel 845 P4 1.6G; 768MbRAM
Debian (3 Woody) Knl: 2.4.18-bf2.4
I have no SCSI adapter installed on this computer
I have only the one CD drive
I am doing all this in / but could this be a permissions problem?
Essentially the problem is no SCSI device is being found.
<--------------X-------------->
Results of lsmod:
soundcore
ide-scsi
sg
sundance
r128
agpgart
keybdev
usbkbd
input
usb-uhci
usbcore
(sg was not there, I added it, no joy)
<--------------X-------------->
Results of /boot/config-2.4.18bf2.4 (ide- and scsi- sections):
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AEC62XX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI15X3=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD64X=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CS5530=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT34X=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y
CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SVWKS=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SIS5513=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SLC90E66=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_4DRIVES=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ALI14XX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DTC2278=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HT6560B=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC4030=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_QD65XX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UMC8672=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_PDC=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ATARAID_HPT=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG_QUEUES=y
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID=y
CONFIG_SCSI_7000FASST=m
CONFIG_SCSI_ACARD=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA152X=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1542=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1740=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AACRAID=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=y
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_DEVICE=8
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY_MS=15000
CONFIG_SCSI_ADVANSYS=m
CONFIG_SCSI_IN2000=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AM53C974=m
CONFIG_SCSI_MEGARAID=m
CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC=y
CONFIG_SCSI_CPQFCTS=m
CONFIG_SCSI_DTC3280=m
CONFIG_SCSI_EATA=m
CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_MAX_TAGS=16
CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA=m
CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_PIO=m
CONFIG_SCSI_FUTURE_DOMAIN=m
CONFIG_SCSI_GDTH=m
CONFIG_SCSI_GENERIC_NCR5380=m
CONFIG_SCSI_G_NCR5380_PORT=y
CONFIG_SCSI_INITIO=m
CONFIG_SCSI_INIA100=m
CONFIG_SCSI_PPA=m
CONFIG_SCSI_IMM=m
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=m
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DMA_ADDRESSING_MODE=1
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=16
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=64
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=8
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=4
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=5
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PQS_PDS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PCI2000=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PCI2220I=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PSI240I=m
CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FAS=m
CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_ISP=m
CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FC=m
CONFIG_SCSI_SEAGATE=m
CONFIG_SCSI_SIM710=m
CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C416=m
CONFIG_SCSI_DC390T=y
CONFIG_SCSI_T128=m
CONFIG_SCSI_U14_34F=m
CONFIG_SCSI_U14_34F_MAX_TAGS=8
CONFIG_SCSI_ULTRASTOR=m
<--------------X-------------->
The following is the contents of the /etc/modules file:
usb-uhci
input
usbkbd
keybdev
agpgart
r128
sundance
ide-scsi
sg
<--------------X-------------->
So if I am reading this correctly, I do not have: scsi_mod and sr_mod. But
running modconf I did not see these modules under ide devices or under scsi
devices, and do not know where else to look if they are needed now.
<--------------X-------------->
I left the edit of /etc/lilo.conf below intact as apparently there is no
harm even if it is not needed.
/etc/lilo.conf
edited to insert: append="hdc=ide-scsi"  on line 104 above
#Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux
ran lilo -v with no errors reported
<--------------X-------------->
Among the other devices listed in fstab are two CD devices, and I have only
the one.
/dev/cdrom  /cdrom   iso9660  ro,user,noauto 0  0
and
/dev/scd0   /cdrw    iso9660  ro,user,noauto 0  0
my /dev/cdrom is a symlink to hdc
I tried deleting the entry for the cdrom, and I tried using sc0
<--------------X-------------->
under /dev/ I have devices for loop0-15 and sg0-7
<--------------X-------------->
I was unable to make changes to modules.conf because one is now not able to
make changes there directly and I did not understand the directions for
using Modutls. I did not see anywhere where it looked like I should add the
suggested "options" lines:

options ide=cd ignore=hdc
alias scd0 sr_mod
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi