Setting-up CDRW

Requesting Help Setting-up CDRW
---------------
I had this same hardware setup running under RH7.3

Intel 845 P4 1.6G; 768MbRAM
Debian: 2.4.18-bf2.4
the SCSI emulation module was installed during the initial setup, and
lsmod returned: ide-scsi used 0  (Does the "used 0" mean anything?)
---------------
/etc/lilo.conf
edited to insert: append="hdc=ide-scsi"  on line 104 above
#Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux
ran lilo -v with no errors reported
---------------

/etc/fstab
edited to insert:
/dev/sc0    /mnt/cdrw   iso9660  ro,user,noauto    0     0
(also tried /dev/scd0 and for mount point: /cdrw having created a directory
there)

Question:
/dev/cdrom  /cdrom      iso9660  ro,user,noauto    0     0
remains in /etc/fstab. Is this correct? Or should this be removed or linked
/dev/sco...and if the latter, is this the right way:
dev/cdrom   /cdrw

---------------
When I run cdrecord I get the following message:
"Unable ... could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?"

My answer is yes, but it does not inform the novice user as to how to get
there.

---------------

When I run xcdroast I get: "Failed to scan the SCSI-bus...you have to
install the
SCSI emulation first, Please see the CD -Writing HOW TO how to do that. Well
I did that and I thought that was what I had done above.

When I run cdrecord -scanbus I get:
No such file or directory.
(Thinking that this might be something like setting up a new partition, I
set up a
directory under / named  "cdrw"
but that did not solve the problem.