apt-get "package held back" question

I just did a "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" and was told that a
package (which I know to have been recently updated) was being "held
back."

Not being an apt expert, I'm not sure how to figure out WHY this occured
and/or what to do about it in order to get the updated package. Can
someone help me out with some info or pointers to a reference?

I should note that to the best of my knowledge, I don't have anything
"pinned" or anything else that should cause packages not to get upgarde.
My /etc/apt/sources.list contains only locations to d/l from, as I
expect it should.

Thanks.
nl